Page 1 of 2

Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2025 8:32 am
by The Jason
Do you feel it's worth it overall?

One idea is just buying premium themes for free forum software, or you could just get a very professional free theme for it

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2025 6:44 am
by Nomad
After using free software for many years, now I am using premium software. In my experience, it is really difficult to grow your community with free software. A lot of people frown upon free software.

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2025 12:13 pm
by The Jason
Nomad wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 6:44 am After using free software for many years, now I am using premium software. In my experience, it is really difficult to grow your community with free software. A lot of people frown upon free software.
But how come when it comes to blogs, most people still respect WordPress?

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2025 5:01 am
by Nomad
May be because developers haven't build anything that is as good as Wordpress. The only competitors are website builders but all the features offered by website builders are already available on wordpress for free

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2025 5:50 pm
by 1stop
Free software most assuredly can be viable but it needs a lot of effort into customizing it. I did I little customisation on my forum and it's free. I still intend to do more to make it look very similar to the paid version .

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2025 5:55 pm
by The Jason
1stop wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 5:50 pm Free software most assuredly can be viable but it needs a lot of effort into customizing it. I did I little customisation on my forum and it's free. I still intend to do more to make it look very similar to the paid version .
You have to be careful with abandoned or in-development plugins, but sometimes they work.

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2025 6:02 pm
by 1stop
Jason wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 5:55 pm
1stop wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 5:50 pm Free software most assuredly can be viable but it needs a lot of effort into customizing it. I did I little customisation on my forum and it's free. I still intend to do more to make it look very similar to the paid version .
You have to be careful with abandoned or in-development plugins, but sometimes they work.
I understand but that's the beauty of an open source software. You can tweak whichever way you want it. I'm still experimenting with the basic coding skill I have.

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2025 4:07 am
by The Jason
1stop wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 6:02 pm
Jason wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 5:55 pm
1stop wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 5:50 pm Free software most assuredly can be viable but it needs a lot of effort into customizing it. I did I little customisation on my forum and it's free. I still intend to do more to make it look very similar to the paid version .
You have to be careful with abandoned or in-development plugins, but sometimes they work.
I understand but that's the beauty of an open source software. You can tweak whichever way you want it. I'm still experimenting with the basic coding skill I have.
The reactions plugin on this forum is in development but works perfectly on this latest phpBB version.

But it's not the case on the version before.

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2025 5:15 pm
by 1stop
Jason wrote: Sun Aug 17, 2025 4:07 am
1stop wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 6:02 pm
Jason wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 5:55 pm
You have to be careful with abandoned or in-development plugins, but sometimes they work.
I understand but that's the beauty of an open source software. You can tweak whichever way you want it. I'm still experimenting with the basic coding skill I have.
The reactions plugin on this forum is in development but works perfectly on this latest phpBB version.

But it's not the case on the version before.
I saw it and I have installed it on both my forums. It works perfectly but I'm still looking for a rating extension, that will let me rate threads.

Re: Saving Money with Free Forum Software

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2025 5:17 pm
by The Jason
1stop wrote: Sun Aug 17, 2025 5:15 pm
Jason wrote: Sun Aug 17, 2025 4:07 am
1stop wrote: Sat Aug 16, 2025 6:02 pm

I understand but that's the beauty of an open source software. You can tweak whichever way you want it. I'm still experimenting with the basic coding skill I have.
The reactions plugin on this forum is in development but works perfectly on this latest phpBB version.

But it's not the case on the version before.
I saw it and I have installed it on both my forums. It works perfectly but I'm still looking for a rating extension, that will let me rate threads.
Was it from Sebo?