Page 1 of 1

Is it still easy to own a hosting company with AI taking over?

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2026 1:32 am
by Gizmo
With AI taking over and everything being able to be created with prompts and whatnot do you think it's still a good time to own a hosting company and do you think you would struggle due to how many there are? If you were to run your own hosting company do you have people you could approach and use as clients or would you start fresh?

Re: Is it still easy to own a hosting company with AI taking over?

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2026 2:58 am
by Jason
Hulk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 1:32 am With AI taking over and everything being able to be created with prompts and whatnot do you think it's still a good time to own a hosting company and do you think you would struggle due to how many there are? If you were to run your own hosting company do you have people you could approach and use as clients or would you start fresh?
I would just grab what I can, assuming I can do so cost effectively, but if I can't, then that's a setback.

And I don't know what you mean about AI. Are you saying customers want AI features that mom and pop sellers can't handle?

Re: Is it still easy to own a hosting company with AI taking over?

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 8:07 am
by cpvr
Gizmo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2026 1:32 am With AI taking over and everything being able to be created with prompts and whatnot do you think it's still a good time to own a hosting company and do you think you would struggle due to how many there are? If you were to run your own hosting company do you have people you could approach and use as clients or would you start fresh?
I think one would struggle with running a hosting company. It is far to competitive, but it is possible to run one. Just keep in mind that'll take a long time to become profitable in that field.

I personally would not start my own hosting company, it is not something that I ever envision myself doing. However, one could become a reseller with another hosting company and package servers like that while having their own hosting company. It's basically how a lot of small-time hosting companies started in the beginning.

Re: Is it still easy to own a hosting company with AI taking over?

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 7:36 pm
by Jason
I only had success one time with a hosting company. It was in the 2010s. It was a free green (environmentally friendly) hosting company.

But it was a failure, unfortunately. :( I allowed customers too many resources.

Note: I do think "free" is a good strategy for hosting companies, though. That's assuming you can manage resources.