Page 1 of 1

What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2025 5:28 pm
by Nomad
Domain flipping means you buy a domain at a regular price, hold it for some time and then sell it at a higher value to someone who needs it for their brand, startup, or project. Just like real world assets like stocks and property, digital asset like domains can also appreciate over time , if your domain is brand-able and has commercial value. I have sold a few domains but I have never made it big.

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2025 4:02 am
by The Jason
Nomad wrote: Thu Aug 07, 2025 5:28 pm Domain flipping means you buy a domain at a regular price, hold it for some time and then sell it at a higher value to someone who needs it for their brand, startup, or project. Just like real world assets like stocks and property, digital asset like domains can also appreciate over time , if your domain is brand-able and has commercial value. I have sold a few domains but I have never made it big.
It's not as easy as it seems.

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2025 1:29 pm
by 1stop
Domain flipping is when you purchase domains at a very low price and sell at a higher price. I personally have flipped two domains and only made small profits.

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2025 6:22 am
by The Jason
1stop wrote: Sun Aug 10, 2025 1:29 pm Domain flipping is when you purchase domains at a very low price and sell at a higher price. I personally have flipped two domains and only made small profits.
I think it could be a viable business, but you need skill and a reasonable or large bankroll.

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2025 5:03 am
by Nomad
Jason wrote: Fri Aug 08, 2025 4:02 am
Nomad wrote: Thu Aug 07, 2025 5:28 pm Domain flipping means you buy a domain at a regular price, hold it for some time and then sell it at a higher value to someone who needs it for their brand, startup, or project. Just like real world assets like stocks and property, digital asset like domains can also appreciate over time , if your domain is brand-able and has commercial value. I have sold a few domains but I have never made it big.
It's not as easy as it seems.
Yeah, it is not easy. And one main problem is the existence of over 1500 domain extensions.

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2025 8:48 am
by The Jason
Nomad wrote: Wed Aug 13, 2025 5:03 am
Jason wrote: Fri Aug 08, 2025 4:02 am
Nomad wrote: Thu Aug 07, 2025 5:28 pm Domain flipping means you buy a domain at a regular price, hold it for some time and then sell it at a higher value to someone who needs it for their brand, startup, or project. Just like real world assets like stocks and property, digital asset like domains can also appreciate over time , if your domain is brand-able and has commercial value. I have sold a few domains but I have never made it big.
It's not as easy as it seems.
Yeah, it is not easy. And one main problem is the existence of over 1500 domain extensions.
.com is still the most valuable. Do you really even think other ones have gotten popular enough to really challenge it?

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2026 4:56 am
by bharath
Domain flipping was one of my income sources in the past, though I was a small domainer, not a big one. Things started going downhill when many new TLDs entered the domain industry, and since then I’ve felt that it’s no longer a worthwhile business.

In the past, owning a .com domain was almost essential to attract large amounts of traffic. Today, however, you can achieve good rankings using country-specific domains or niche TLDs.

If we step back into the domain business now, we often end up paying renewal fees year after year, which makes it much less appealing.

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2026 2:05 am
by The Jason
bharath wrote: Fri Jan 23, 2026 4:56 am Domain flipping was one of my income sources in the past, though I was a small domainer, not a big one. Things started going downhill when many new TLDs entered the domain industry, and since then I’ve felt that it’s no longer a worthwhile business.

In the past, owning a .com domain was almost essential to attract large amounts of traffic. Today, however, you can achieve good rankings using country-specific domains or niche TLDs.

If we step back into the domain business now, we often end up paying renewal fees year after year, which makes it much less appealing.
Look for domain size. For instance, as 3-letter .com domains are taken up, value moves to 4-letter ones, and so on.

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2026 12:09 am
by Ravenfreak
I feel like domain flipping can be a very difficult way of earning money online these days. Think about it, I feel like many people are lazy and only rely on social media and Discord to start up communities now. Companies still want domain names, and there are still hobbyists like us who prefer to use forums.

Re: What is Domain Flipping and How Does It Work?

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2026 7:41 pm
by The Jason
Ravenfreak wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2026 12:09 am I feel like domain flipping can be a very difficult way of earning money online these days. Think about it, I feel like many people are lazy and only rely on social media and Discord to start up communities now. Companies still want domain names, and there are still hobbyists like us who prefer to use forums.
Most people are on social media. That's something that means a big deal.